My New Breakfast Staple

Weetabix Cereal- My Current Breakfast Go-To, Mia Kay 2015 ©


For the past few weeks, every morning I have been consistently eating Weetabix for breakfast. It's particularly a great convenient weekday breakfast because it's super quick to prepare and fills me up better than any cold cereal. Plus, unlike other cereals, the original Weetabix is low in sugar, made from wholegrain, and it's high in fibre and B vitamins so it is one of the most healthiest options in the cereal aisle. They also come in rectangular pieces so it's easy to portion control- there's no need to get a scale out and measure your portions.

I used to eat oatmeal or hot porridge but I find it can be a bit too hot in Hong Kong to start the day with a hot bowl.

Since eating Weetabix as my breakfast staple in the last month, I have noticed that my stomach feels noticeably less bloated and I have more energy to power me through the morning till lunch.

Serving suggestion:

I eat two rectangular portions with full-fat milk. Mix in cinnamon powder and top it with half or one whole banana slices (depending on who hungry I am).


Weetabix with banana slices,  cinnamon and milk, Mia Kay 2015 ©


The great thing about it is that all you need to do when you feel like you're getting bored of what you're eating or want to take in a variety of micronutrients is to switch the toppings.

Other topping ideas include:


  • blueberries
  • rasins and apricots
  • dried berries
  • exotic fruits
  • nuts
  • mango and greek yoghurt
  • drizzle of honey

For those who have never tried it before, it may need time to get accustomed to the texture.  I like to break the two rectangular portion pieces that I have (about 100 calories each) into super small pieces and make sure that all the milk soaks into the Weetabix to turn into constituency like oatmeal. It's definitely not pretty looking but if you like oatmeal, this alternative may be something you like.

As an active gym goer I'm almost hungry all the time so having a breakfast that includes carbs and   also will satiate my hunger levels until mid-morning when I have my roasted almonds for my snack is  important. I've noticed it's doing a better job at keeping me full in comparison to my usual greek yoghurt topped with fruits for breakfast.

What's your breakfast go-to? 

MK x





No comments